Tuesday, May 10, 2016

More outdoor seating

It took a day with the kids at the in-laws’ but I was able to get the basics of a lounge chair together this weekend: three 30” 2x10s stacked on each side, joined by 24” 1x4s attached to support 2x4s with the back at a 20 degree recline. It’s taken longer to find cushions that will fit than to build the damn thing, but I think we finally found something to everyone’s liking today. Now to sand, stain, and build a second one before they go out in the fire pit. I will admit I’m a little tired of sanding after the table and bench, which is why the bench is on the deck even though it’s technically not-quite-finished vs completely done. But the building part is utterly enjoyable.
As easy as it sounds things were slightly trickier than expected, with some modifications to the plan changing how the back came together. I think it was for the best, with 2x4s mitered at an angle and holding 1x4 crossbeams versus kregging a 2x10 piece in at an angle. Now I just have to remember how I did that when I build a second one this week. One more trip to Home Depot should do it. As much as I end up going there I’m not a huge HD fan at the moment. It took forever to find two boards straight enough to use for these, and you can even see the left arm is slightly off. Oh well. It’s close and convenience outweighs a lot of other factors in my approach.

This project has gotten smaller as it went on; between telling the wife my intentions and getting the first done, the plans on how to use these have even changed. Initially I wanted to build a set of chairs and a loveseat for the deck but apparently we’re leaving the deck space open for the kids to play on and the chairs are getting put in the fire pit seating. Which is fine, it leaves me an area to fill up in the future. But I have to say, even without cushions I love how this turned out. Updates to come.
Purchase list (so far)

2 2”x10”x8’ treated board, cut to 32” sections and trimmed to straight
3 1”x4”x8’ treated board, cut to 24” sections for seat and back
1 2”x4”x8’ treated board, cut to 29” seat support and 22” back support, mitered to 20 degrees
2 ½ inch kreg screws
additional wood screws

No comments:

Post a Comment