Friday, July 22, 2016

Topping off a contractor job with a little DIY



The fence is finally in, after a month of waiting to get things cleared up with ComEd. In the end it was good to wait, b/c it gave us more time to come up with a better overall plan for how to put things up. Instead of running along a walkway and leaving the deck open, we had them turn the fence directly into the house. So now we have one big yard along the back and side of the house.

One downside, after I talked to the fencing company about trying this, they apparently forgot to tell the crew so they didn’t have a second set of gate hardware. So there’s a big gate in the front for a mower (you can see it in the background with the diagonal support), and no gate for the walkway.
I was just happy to have a fence up but eventually we’re going to need a gate at the walkway. So with a few 2x4s and a hardware kit I got to cutting one in myself. Nothing like paying two grand for something and still having to finish it to your liking on your own. You know what I’m about to say about that. 
Looks nice, not very functional.
The additional supports didn't look too out of place at least.
I'm no structural engineer but I think everything is steady enough with this on to be okay. Before I cut anything I clamped a 2x4 along the top as support. That way I could cut my opening and not have it fall on me. Plus I could help keep things level putting it back on that way too. This would have been an easier job with a second pair of hands around but I managed okay on my own. 

This was a 'no turning back' point...
I could have saved a few bucks piecing this out but for getting all the hardware in one kit sounded more appealing to me at this point (how could they not have more than one of these on the truck? I literally saw dozens two seconds away from my house). I’m more worried about making sure the whole thing doesn’t sag since the main posts are almost 7 feet apart. Hence kregging multiple 2x4’s into the post and framing off those. I don’t think this gate will get much use actually, but I want the whole thing to be solid enough to still function as a fence without adding another post too.
A hole in my brand new fence was actually very upsetting.
Took a break for the drill to charge at this point. It was damn hot out!
On top of the gate, there’s a ton of dirt to still move, and plenty re-seeding to do around all the posts. Something that was supposed to make life easier sure does seem to be making things difficult right now. Did I mention today there was a triple digit heat index? Good times. And the wife wants to stain the whole thing? Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment