Monday, November 7, 2016

I still hate grout...



but it’s a lot more fun when your team won the World Series the night before. 

I wasn’t expecting to be grouting again so quickly, but now that I have I’m glad to say I’m done and wow, what an improvement from the cement slab hearth. Just about any kind of tile would look better than that though, but I’m very pleased with how this ended up looking.
Square enough at least.
One tricky part, spacing the top layer of tile square to the edges meant a gap between the flat top and the edges. I ended up squeezing some grout in with a bag to make sure the top tile stayed level as I filled it in, then cleaned it up. The corners went pretty much the same way. Thankfully, again, this wasn’t a big job surface-area wise, and doing it again so quickly after having grouted the wall tiles meant I had a routine that I thought was working well.
That's not bad.
There are actually quite a few finishes in the basement that still need caulking, and this fireplace adds to that list. But needing a line of caulk where the two types of tile meet isn’t stopping me from considering this project done. It feels like it took longer and shorter than two months; getting those wall tiles up felt like was taking forever but each stage of remodeling actually went relatively quickly. It just took from early Sept to early Nov to find enough free time to get each step done. Not a good sign for all the trim and tile on the caulking list, but the good news is winter break is right around the corner.
Nearly done.

No comments:

Post a Comment