Monday, January 30, 2017

A cut here, a saw there

I'm still under the weather but I had a few minutes to myself this weekend and I took a stab at getting the crib opened up so it could accommodate a desktop.
This crib was supposed to be modular: you can take the front off and have a daybed. Or you can take the sides off and with replacement rails have a full-sized bed frame. The only drawbacks are, we can't buy the rails for a 5-year old crib model, and with a wall out it's not overly sturdy. Plus, I didn't want the straight wall out, I wanted the curved wall out. So the reciprocating saw came out to play.
I figured four cuts would do it, and hoped that leaving the rails attached would give the remaining "U" shape additional stability. Two cuts in, things were looking okay.
Things ended up working fine. I like that so much I might just try to line up a desktop with the bottom of the rail instead of placing it lower for the kids. They can always find taller chairs to sit at it with. What I'm not going to like is having to sand and paint this entire thing to finish it, but since I'm still hacking crap up it might be weeks before I have a chance to do that anyway. Is it summer yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment