Friday, March 24, 2017

Spring, is that you? Time to garden.

It's almost time to get back outside, and that means convincing the kids not to run full speed off the landscaping around the fire pit. I think the wife asking for a garden box might be a way to also make them find another part of the yard to play daredevil.

I felt bad getting a request though, since it was one of the things on my list that I didn't get to last summer. But with the weather on track to get a little nicer now is a perfect time to get one ready. And an extra day off means I have a chance to rectify that sooner rather than later.

And since I had already meant to do this project, I had a list of materials in my head already, so a quick HD trip meant pretty soon I was unloading a bunch of cedar fence pickets, a pair of 2x3s, and some screws. Off to the races.
6-foot pickets, in decent shape.
Cut the 2x3 with a wedge to sink them into the ground.
We don't really know where to put these though, so I left things modular so I can move them out once we have a plan. That meant they came together really quickly, and with the extra time I could give them a light sanding before I sealed the exterior sides. These cedar pickets should be fairly resistant, but a little poly won't hurt either.
Test fit worked great at least.
They needed some sanding before getting sealed though.

The L-shape is to both help close out the fire pit and make things easier to walk around. A big rectangle means a lot of reaching, and with little arms planning on helping with the gardening an L-shape means direct access to anything that gets planted. Of course that's planning I'm more than happy to leave to the people with greener thumbs than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment