Monday, August 15, 2016

Boo, 5 day work weeks


I’ve been able to mix some posts on smaller stuff in lately now that the basement has rounded into shape, but I’m not sure how much that’s going to continue now that summer is wrapping up and I’m back on (gasp) five-day work weeks this week. Cry me a river.

Part of me wants to joke about the reason to have a shop is to have someplace to be away from the family during free time, but honestly that’s not really my thing. Three-day weekends all summer are just too perfect for really getting to work on something, and I hate losing that extra time. Case in point: I snuck in some baseboard caulking to try and get things done on Sunday while the kids were napping. Made some progress but had to cut it short when everyone woke up and wanted to go to the park. Gotta do that kind of thing when you can.

The killer is I still had so many more things I wanted to get done. There just weren't enough days with space open, and I realize it's always going to be that way. One big project in the basement just ate up a lot of my free time this summer. At least it got done without taking too much away from my family time, or at least close enough to meet my definition of “finished” with some caulking still left. 

But are we really ever finished? I have to add some quarter rounds to the baseboard to fill some gaps where the flooring stops short of the wall. The wife has some ideas about trying a spray texture. But there's always something else too; I noticed a rainy July really did a number on my gorgeous patio table, so a re-finishing project just got bumped a little higher on the “to-do” list for fall. Always something else to work on, the trick now is finding the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment