Wednesday, August 17, 2016

scrap wood stool

This was a fun build from a few days ago.

I could not be happier with how much the kids love playing in the sandbox. It gets them outside, they use their imaginations, and it does us good to do the same. But I’m old, and my body can’t sit there forever with them. Especially if they’re out there after I’ve spent the morning mowing or adding a fence gate or drywalling or god only knows what other kind of physical labor. Thankfully, I have tons of scrap wood sitting around after all these builds and some of it was the perfect size to try and put a stool together to leave outside.
That looks like the start of something at least

This really seemed to come together quickly thanks to necessity. One minute I was in the garage looking for something else, the next I had a flash of inspiration and was slapping this together. Even had my phone in my pocket to snap a few pics real quick. Chopping a spare board, a quick 10 degree trim on the miter, trimming the back legs to length, sanding the corners down, and that’s it. Easy.
I can sit on it, so it's done.
The seat could have used some additional shaping but (butt?) it’s sturdy and that’s all it really needs to be. Doesn’t add much to the ‘pretty’ side of the equation but it can support my 220 lbs when I need it to. Using scrap from other projects means the only cost to this stool was time, and it was well worth it. That’s my kind of project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment