Friday, August 19, 2016

Do a project and try to win some tools? Sold (although I better win at this point).

I don’t think I needed to be too worried about a normal work schedule slowing down my project time at home. Not even a week in and I’m running home to build some shelves I saw online to try and win some tools. I have no expectations on winning, but the excuse to build something else was too good to pass up (although you’ll read why I wish I had at the bottom. Ooooooooooooo, ominous).

BTW, I love Ana White’s site, I go there all the time. Every time I’ve made something inspired by her site I’ve changed it either by accident or design, but it’s full of great ideas. So good.
So anyway, build shelves to enter a contest. I can do that. And they seem like something that would spruce up our downstairs bathroom too. The wife’s onboard so let’s roll.

Before I’m even done buying supplies for this I’ve made changes to the plan, figuring it’s easier to buy one 6 foot 1x10 and chop that to different shelf sizes. Add a pair of 2x3’s and 1x3’s and we’re ready to roll. Have I mentioned how much more I like buying lumber for inside projects versus outside?
Angles

Shelf building

Attaching

Staining. My god the shop is a mess right now. Dealing with molding and trim has really caused a lot of chaos.
 
Ta-da! An afternoon’s worth of building, a few days’ worth of letting stain dry, and we’re done. For a bathroom that doesn’t see much use that might work. It does seem a little dark though.   

Unfortunately, needing to slam on the brakes as I was leaving HD with materials for this ended up sending a 1x3 into the touchscreen on the dash, shattering it. Thank you, asshat cutting through lanes in the parking lot. So now I have a very expensive car-related DIY to attempt in the future and winning this contest is about the only thing that will make these shelves worth it. I’m trying to think of what I could have done lately to earn this kind of karma but I’m not really coming up with anything. Oh well. This is me taking a deep breath and accepting that sometimes things just pile up on each other.
Purchase list:
1 1x10 6 ft common board
2 2x3 8 ft stud
2 1x3 6 ft select pine

No comments:

Post a Comment