Thursday, August 25, 2016

I need a "gore" warning


B/c I left a recent grilling experiment a little bloody. This might not fit the typical fare I usually post here but it's enough of a "try something new and see what happens" post I thought it would work.

The kids have been hitting the library a lot this summer and it’s been great. I’ve picked up a few things too, and I noticed that "tri-tip" was all over a pair of grilling cookbooks I brought home last weekend.

I had never even heard of that cut, but apparently it’s a long-time staple of bbq around Santa Maria, grilled up with a spice marinade on and sliced up for sandwiches. Hey, I’m up for anything. Let’s give it a shot.

So after a few trips to local grocers I finally found someone behind the meat counter that knew what I was talking about, and I was bringing home a little over two pounds of decent looking meat. I should have taken a picture but I was excited to put that thing on the grill.

A quick aside; I will admit I don’t miss living in the city as much as I thought I would. But having to go to three different shops before I found someone that didn’t look at me like I was crazy for asking for a cut of meat they didn’t have was one of those moments. I couldn’t find a butcher shop to go to so I was at the mercy of the suburbs. But hey, it worked out.

The simple plan: coat this thing in seasoning and char it, then leave it on in-direct heat for around ½ an hour or so. Slice and serve for sandwiches.

Viola.
That's a little more graphic than I usually like my photos. I am not a food blogger.
It was delicious. I used “Chicago” style weber seasoning, which complimented the tri tip like a champ. It was just about perfectly cooked for me, the wife could have maybe used a few more chunks tending more toward medium. But no real complaints, just big sandwiches for all involved with a handful of raw onion on top with a brioche bun, I’m drooling again just writing about it. More meals like that please.

No comments:

Post a Comment