Sunday, September 18, 2016

Now who's hungry?


Hey, that's a nice surprise.
Turns out we had a surprise in the backyard this summer, when the tree we thought had crab apples on it kept going to produce some full size apples. But by mid-September they had clearly grown into full-blown apples, and it’s pretty obvious we need to look up some tips on caring for an apple tree before next spring.
Eh, I've seen better looking apples but what the hell.

Droops aside, there were some semi normal-looking apples on there, even if they aren’t the prettiest. So we took one off this weekend and it actually tasted pretty good. A little tart, but it had more flavor than I was expecting. So what the hell, let’s pull three or four off and make a baked apple pancake. What’s the worst that could happen?
Now we're talking.
The worst that could happen is probably pretty dire in actuality, but that doesn’t seem to have happened. Really all that happens is I always get a sticker crust when I was trying for a crunchier one, b/c try as I might I just cannot replicate the experience of a Clarke’s baked apple. Oh well. Let’s just get some ice cream to go with it, and maybe make sure we know how to take better care of the tree moving forward. 
I need to cook more often.
I hate to see summer turn to fall but my god I can't wait to go apple picking. Apple cake, apple pie, apple slices, apple donuts, apple fudge, apple cider, apple everything. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment