Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Steak steak steak steak steak



The week the wife has to spend out of town is one of my least favorite weeks of the year but it does have some perks. When it was just me and the dog we’d order multiple pizzas and eat the left overs until she got home. With kids that doesn’t sound quite as glamorous/debauched as it used to so I was looking for a more adult option to try. And since even they were going to be out of the house for a night, why not set off the smoke detectors cooking a big steak. 
That's a surprisingly good looking cut of beef.
A quick trip to wallyworld and I dug up a discounted NY strip, thick cut but had to be used by that day. ‘No problem,’ I thought to myself, I’m sure I’ll cook off anything harmful. So off I went to season and sear and enjoy. A little more work than simply ordering a pizza but for a bigger reward.
Simple.
I coated it in oil, pepper, and garlic salt as soon as we got in the house. I left it out while the oven heated up, and when it had reached 450 I put the skillet on a burner and got ready to smoke things out. Open windows, covered smoke detectors. A little more oil on the pan and away we went.
Almost...
Based on the quiet sizzling noises I got when steak first hit iron I think I should have let the skillet get a little hotter. But at that point I couldn’t wait for some steak. Two minutes on each side, 30 seconds on the edges. Better sizzle after a flip, and things were looking good. Dropped some butter in the pan and threw everything in the oven for 5 more minutes with an extra flip thrown in there just for luck.
Closer...
First look after 5 minutes had things still looking a little blue for my liking but 90 seconds more seemed to do the trick. Tin foil tent, rest while I poured a whiskey, and then, finally, things were ready.
Oh yeah.
More work than ordering a pizza but sooooooooooooo worth it.
So good.
I really do hate this week but little like a thick steak cooked exactly how I like it make things a lot easier to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment