Tuesday, December 27, 2016

last-minute coat storage

Every winter in our house has been become a constant struggle between organization and chaos. The coats, boots, and accessories just keep multiplying, but keeping the kids going in and out through the garage helps keep it somewhat controlled. The potential adding guests to that mess for a Christmas gathering had me wondering just what we could do to keep everything straight, especially if they’re coming in a different door. I ended up coming up with a pretty decent solution.

I’ve been wondering if I should buy a coat rack, but the idea of spending $30 on $5 of wood and hooks kind of galled me. So I scrounged around for some hooks and found a relatively straight piece of scrap to stain and sand. Then I just had to figure out where to mount it and how.
I love a good scrap project.
 
Stained, varnished, ready for hooks.
Technically I think these are tie hooks but the slider they were on isn’t attached in the closet, and they’re not really get a lot of use that way. So I can add them to the wood, and put any leftover on the door, and viola, tons more coat hangers.
Not the nicest looking but they did the job.
 
A few zip ties through some holes lined up and our temporary coat hangers worked wonders over the holidays, to the point where they're still up even if they don't look the nicest if you notice them from the back. Oh well, a little more organization never hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment