Sunday, January 1, 2017

Good riddance 2016


What a crazy year! Looking back, I can’t believe everything we’ve managed to get done around the house with everything else we always seem to have going on. There were a few days there while I wondered what to get everyone that I felt bad for not making anyone anything special for Christmas, but once I looked a little wider that feeling went away. I called this “what’s next” partly as a joke, b/c it’s easy to get caught up in the list of things you need to do as a homeowner. But it’s also easy to chase the high from feeling like you’ve accomplished something on your own, and I need to remind myself occasionally that a quiet moment can be just as nice as long as I can slow down and enjoy it.

The best gift I gave in 2015 (in my opinion) was a shadow box I put together for the wife, with pictures of us in our condo and one of our keys mounted under an "Our first home" caption. Of course, it wasn't really our first home, but having our kids there and one fantastic dog really made it the first time our complete family was together. None of the gifts from this year had that kind of meaning. Or I should say none of the gifts I gave, b/c the wife had the boy pick out a present for me, and he picked a kylo ren figure which absolutely made my holiday season. I'm taking it to the office so I can look at it every day. 

Anyway, everything we've done in the year we've been in the house went a long way toward making this new how just as full of memories, and set up the potential spilling out into the future for years to come. I love it. I can't wait to see what's next.   

No comments:

Post a Comment