Saturday, February 4, 2017

Quiet time turns into baking time

The wife's birthday is this weekend, so while she's out with the kids I tried to get a surprise cake baked and frosted before everyone gets home. It was moderately successful.

I don't know if this will stay a surprise, since I asked the boy what kind of cake he thought Mommy might want for her birthday so I would have some cover on the flavor combination. He could be blabbing about it to her right now for all I know. Hopefully not though, b/c I don't feel like I nailed her gifts so a surprise is going to go a long way.

Anyway, instead of making a simple cake I thought it would be nice if I tried to fancy it up a little bit as a layer cake. Despite being someone who dives into drywall or tile with little to no experience, the decision to make a layer cake had me wondering if I was in over my head at points. I'm not the biggest fan of baking, even as someone who's spent a lot of downtime learning his way around a kitchen. It's a weird combination of rigidly adhering to directions while also physically messy; two things that have their place but together I find them incredibly annoying.

With some googled tips on baking a layer cake things ended up okay though. I remembered to line the pan and evened things out. Plus, baking gave me some time to get laundry done so there's a clean karate gi for tomorrow, plus a little dinner for myself.


The liners worked really well, actually, and things stacked up okay once it was time to bust out the frosting. This part I liked, since more was better.



The sides had me a little dubious, but things came together decently and now I'm just waiting for everyone to come home. And what's that in the background?


Yeah, that was my dinner. For whatever reason making a pizza sounded like the perfect way to add a little more chaos to the evening, but it gave me something to do while the cake cooled, so everything worked out. Now I just have to wait for everyone to come home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment