Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Crib desk finally moves

Measure twice, cut once. Or alternatively, measure not, then cut pieces off so your project can fit through doors and go where you wanted it to go in the first place.

We had some guests over Easter and one of them volunteered to help carry the crib desk from the garage to the boy's room. Great, I thought, clear out my space so I can make something else this summer. And the first half of the trip was beautiful. Out the garage, in the front door, through the hall, all in one piece.

Then we got to the boy's door. Whoops.

Feet came off, we still needed two inches of clearance. The front legs, the ones still attached after chopping the curved portion off, came off, we needed another quarter inch. So I got out the jig saw, and chopped two spindle pieces off and viola, desk in room.
Which meant lots of other furniture moving, since it takes up a lot of room.
Just remind me not to look at it from the side for a while.
With the legs and feet back on everything is level and sturdy. There are just two extra holes where the old spindles came from. They'll probably get attached eventually, but for now it was pretty cool to see how happy the boy was to have his own place for art. When I make the girl one for herself, I'll be sure to measure first.

No comments:

Post a Comment