Monday, June 12, 2017

charging stand

With so much plywood left over, I thought it might be fun to cut together a quick charger stand for my phone and watch. A project that uses scrap and helps keep my space organized is my kind of project.

There are plenty of these out there, so I didn't go off any particular plan again. Two squares that interlock with cut out joints creating a shelf, plus a half-circle cut out to put my watch on. Simple.
2nd test-fit. Good to go.
My first cuts had the shelf higher than I wanted, so I traced the shape and cut out another square, this time with the cut-out lower. It gave me another shot at cutting the circle out with the jig saw, which helped. A sanding drum on the dremel helped get it a little more symmetrical too.
Looks alright for plywood, if you don't look too long at the sides.

Our bedroom furniture is walnut, so I used my walnut stain in the hopes of getting a good match. It's not terrible but this stain is getting pretty old and is about done. Doesn't look too bad though.

At this point I was considering adding an extra shelf at the top to put my glasses on overnight, but decided against it. I liked how it looked just as a plain board, and I think that was the right way to go.
Final product
A few coats of poly to keep it smooth, and after some glue to keep it together and some felt pads we're ready to go upstairs.
Just don't look at the back side.

Once it was up there I velcro'd my watch charger in place, which is temporary but sturdy enough to last for now. Since I'm not using a samsung phone anymore my neo isn't quite as functional as it once was but still does what I need it to do. The stand helps keep things tidy on my nightstand, so mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment