Tuesday, June 20, 2017

After a slight delay, helmet stands done

We went out of town over the weekend, which meant any projects got put on hold for an extra couple of days. I had been having trouble finding time to get a finish on these stands anyway, so being out forced me to get away for enough time that I came back ready to finish these and move on.
Even with the delay, I really like how these came together. Builds like this are a good illustration of how much fun you can have with a new hobby once you get acclimated to it. These were spur of the moment projects, won't serve much use, but I really enjoyed figuring out how to put them together and what finish I wanted to put on them. And really, it would have been easier, and not much more expensive, to just buy two stands. But that would have lead to time waiting for shipping to get delivered instead of time in the shop figuring stuff out, and shop time is way more pleasant than waiting for a delivery.

The Kylo Ren stand needed a bit of black, so while I stained the actual wood of the post, the plywood got a matte black spray paint. I think the contrast looks good. I also think I paid more for the plywood than I did for the helmet (90% off the day after halloween, thank you very much) so this project turned out great even if I don't think this helmet's getting worn in the next movie. Next up I think I have to build a display case for all these Star Wars figures I have waiting for the boy.

I went with a flat blue for the football helmet, using some of the blue furniture paint over the last of my white spray primer. Re-using stuff from other projects might mean I'm inching ever closer to being cost-effective but man do I hate painting with this stuff. It's can be challenging to get even coverage, but ultimately it's going to be under a helmet so I'm not too worried about it in the end. Same reason seeing the plywood bands doesn't bother me too much either. At least you can't really tell how crooked the bottom cuts are with it on the shelf.

Even with the mistakes these turned out pretty good. Having the helmets on stands feels like they should be somewhere more noticeable than our closet, but that's the challenge in sharing your space with the rest of the family. Not all my "guys' stuff" can be out all the time. For now it was a fun project to throw together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment