Friday, July 28, 2017

Anniversary breakfast tray

The wife thought I might have gone a little overboard for her anniversary present last year, cajoling my way into an expired discount on an outdoor rocker that she had had her eye on for some time. I'm going a little smaller this year, and much cheaper. But hopefully with more thought in it, which will help make up the differences.

This year she's getting a breakfast-in-bed tray, even though we rarely have the morning to ourselves to have a quiet moment. But maybe this will help be the impetus for more moments like that.

Right off the bat I started with a cheat; instead of making my own tray from scratch I picked up a cheap serving tray and put legs on it. I'm still in the middle of my media stand build which is eating up a lot of my time and space so a shortcut made a lot of sense. But just b/c it was cheap doesn't mean it wasn't nice looking, and I will admit probably much nicer than a tray I would have put together myself. Hopefully this helps get both projects done sooner rather than later. 


For a second shortcut, instead of getting new 1x2s from HD I trimmed a scrap from one of the 1x10s into even sections that should work for the legs. That table saw is freaking tremendous.

The legs need to be collapsible for storage, but tall and sturdy enough to hold a breakfast over someone's lap when swung out. So I went for a hinged design, with the tops cut at a 10 degree angle so they'll swing out when down, but still fold up relatively close when not in use. I'm an idiot though, and didn't buy enough hinges the first time around b/c I can't count to four apparently. 

 



With all that done, I left it bare but lacquered it. At this point the wife came down while I was working on it and saw it, so I didn't have to worry about keeping it hidden while stuff was drying. Kind of a bummer but a lot easier to work around at least.

Now I just have to be able to get up early enough to make her a coffee or something this weekend for our anniversary. That might be the hardest part of the entire process.

No comments:

Post a Comment