Monday, July 31, 2017

Media stand part 6: change of plans

Whelp, I said it enough times that it had to come true.

I wasn't crazy about how tall the stand was with the pieces put together, so instead of putting it on the initial foundation I broke it down to just one rectangle for the stand to sit on with it closer to the ground. I had to get the wife's permission of course, and she said to go for it.

I'm hoping it gives the shelves a floating look without leaving any open space for crumbs or toys to clutter up. Of course, getting to that point wasn't without issues. I had to cut two sides to get it smaller than the actual shelves, and trimmed both sides at a point where each had one of the kreg holes exposed. Oops. But it was an easy fix; I used a kreg plug to fill the hole before I re-painted. A little glue and a a quick saw worked just fine.


Clamped down for glue to set, with brackets as well

I was still thinking drawers on the now bottom shelf, and picked up some plywood to make the boxes out of and a 6' stretch of 1x12 board to put across the front when they're ready. Felt like a good time to try out the table saw too, and holy crap am I in love.


That took about 3 minutes. 3 loud, dusty minutes. But everything stayed straight, and once I got the hang of feeding things through it was easy work. Lining up the drawer slides and sizing the actual drawers is another story.
Even a simple box gave me enough trouble getting it sized properly for the drawer slides I was wondering if they were worth the effort at this point. But I dialed it in eventually, and it's starting to look like actual furniture at this point. I can see a finished version of this project in my head and I like it, I just have to be patient on the way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment