Saturday, July 15, 2017

Media stand, part 2: shelves

My not knowing what I'm doing is going quite well, thank you.

I cut one of my panels at a 45 degree angle to give me a top and one side panel. With a 45 degree trim to the other side and another cut to my second set of joined boards, I had a top and two side panels. The left over second set of boards was also long enough to use as a middle shelf. Math is fun sometimes.


Next step, I tried to chisel out a dado for a middle shelf. It's not clean, but seems to be doing the job. I added some 1/4" dowels to help hold things in place before cutting the drawer dividers that will also support the middle shelf while I finish getting pieces together.
That would have been a lot easier with a table saw.

The drawer supports are pretty horribly cut as well, but as long as I get them closed up no one will ever see them.
The dividers are on scrap b/c I wanted the last set of boards for the bottom to end in butt joints on the inside of the side panels, so they had to be 3/4" off the ground when attached to the shelf. Once the bottom was cut to the right size I kregged it to the sides from underneath. With the kregs, the dividers, and dowels things are together enough even without any glue I can pick everything up as one piece. I think we're in good shape, but I'm still going to add some brackets on the back side when we're finally done for extra support.
Ooooo-weeeee, look at those shavings.
I'm not sure about how clean the miter is going to look at first since some of these boards cup pretty terribly, but the measurements track and I can deal with that when I have to. I'll glue the dowels in and attach the brackets before that so I can set the top on by itself so I can fine tune it as necessary.

Whew. That's a pretty short post for what was A LOT of project time. It's getting damn heavy to keep lifting but it's looking pretty good in the shop right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment