Thursday, July 13, 2017

this summer's big project: media stand

Okay, time to move onto this summer's big project. Here's our current tv stand:

It's probably over 15 years old, and when we bought it to go with a ridiculously massive flatscreen we thought it was temporary. It did the job but it's been through 4 moves by now and 15 years is temporary enough. The kids like to see how much food and crud they can get on it before I yell at them and at this point it's getting to be quite a bit. I think it's time to replace it.

And by replace it, I mean pour over media stand plans for weeks until I find something I like, and then try to do it myself. And that's just what I've been doing. Ultimately I decided to take elements from this, and this, to create something like this:
I should probably look into sketch up at this point.

Again, I have little to no idea what I'm doing most of the time. So I've talked myself into trying a miter joint at the top, and cutting a dado into the sides for the middle shelf. Hopefully I can paint the bottom frame with a good rustoleum and get the metal look from that first stand. We'll see.

A lot of this is trying to do parts of old projects better this time around. I don't like how the console table butt joints look, so I'm trying a miter. Now that I have a bench plane, I can join some 10" boards and make it cleaner than I did with the desk. And that's actually where I started, with a lot of boards from Menards to start framing things up.

I started this while the bench was still in the shop. It's going to be a long build.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm still using my kreg jig a ton, and especially on projects like this. The boy's desk is holding up so far, so why not stick with it if it's still working. Anyway, planing and sanding these boards ate up the rest of my time, but also gave me plenty of time to think about how I want everything to fit together. There's a plan in place, we'll see if it actually works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment