Thursday, September 14, 2017

baking with our own apples

This week has not been great. Kids waking up too early and then going to bed just in time to be late to school, shitty commute traffic, not hearing back from interviews I thought I did pretty well at, and losses from the Cubs, Bears, and Irish all had me looking for a fall pick me up. Instead of going crazy I decided to bake some comfort food to try and make the back half of this week a little more bearable.

I already had a can of pumpkin open from other baking, so to make sure I got the most out of what was around I grabbed two apples off our tree to whip up some pumpkin apple streudel muffins. Sounds like more work than it actually is.

The apples are starting to drop off the tree so I'm hoping these are in fact, ready to use. I still have no clue what kind of apples they are but the look fine.

So, what we're working with here:

2.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin
2 large eggs
3 tbps half & half
1 cup chopped apples

cover with crumb topping
1 tbps butter
1 cup sugar
2 tbps flour

30 minutes later at 375 and you get:

Hopefully these can tide me over until we really go apple picking. Although it sounds like I'm going to get some additional baking time this weekend to use up some more of our apples. Fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment