Monday, September 18, 2017

Those might not be baking apples!

When did this turn into a baking blog?

With the muffins a success, I put together an entire pie this weekend. I've used the apples off our tree before, but not for something so apple-heavy. Unfortunately I wasn't too thrilled with the results.

Things got off to a great start though. I was able to pick a number of apples that came right off the tree. The kids helped too so we had some not-so-great looking ones to start with. Not everyone made it into the pie.

This is the recipe I've used since the wife and I have been together, so it's going on 18 years at this point. But this pie came out unbelievably sweet. It makes my teeth hurt to eat a big slice.
Looks good, tastes so-so.

Not that I stopped eating it. I've been slowly chipping away at it since Friday night, and it's almost gone. They have good texture within the pie, so at least they held up well to the actual baking. But the flavor profile is WAY too sweet, even with a healthy amount of nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove in there. All its done is put me in the mood for more apple stuff though, so expect some apple cake pictures after we go apple picking in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment