Friday, October 20, 2017

Reusing the wire shelves

With the cleats up in the garage, I now had to think of something to do with the wire shelves not being used.

These shelves were left in our condo from the previous owners, and they made our move with us after keeping them as pantry shelves. Honestly I couldn't bring myself to throw them out even if they're not overly useful. We had to cover them in cardboard to use them in our pantry, and they weren't very helpful in the garage. But there's got to be a better use for some of these than the garbage dump, so I figured I'd build a frame to put the shelves on to give the boy some additional closet storage.

The closet isn't too big, but some extra shelving in there would help get some boxes off his floor and out of the way. Hence the left over 1x4s getting split into 1x2s so I could play around with building a frame to set the shelves on to make the most of the space.

Easy frame up to fit the shelves on.
Even though I put them all the way together, this wasn't the sturdiest frame so I ended up just carrying the individual pieces upstairs to assemble in the closet.
Shelves in, no what to do with the middle?

They ended up really helping get the closet a little more organized. Right now, with no real clothes to hang up, this closet became a dumping ground when the boy has to clean his room. Hopefully putting these in there keep him from filling up the bottom of the closet just throwing junk in.

I ended up keeping the middle open to let one of the girl's costume dresses hang. I have enough scrap to glue together another shelf to add on, that might be a small extra project to glue and plane something together. For now, I'm happy with keeping some more stuff out of our garbage pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment