Monday, January 29, 2018

my new desk, start to finish

Ugh. This winter has me a little down right now, as I deal with a job that actually challenges me on a daily basis, and fitting in classwork. I don't have a lot of free time right now, so I'm trying to recapture the enjoyable feelings I get from working with my hands by posting a start-to-finish on the desk.

I need to take more pictures of the raw materials.












A quick aside: I don't know if I was just getting careless or getting through the year without any bruises finally caught up to me, but my hands took some punishment on this project. Got a decent looking blood blister on my palm when I pinched it between two plywood sheets, got another one on a finger moving the glued-up top around. And to finish, I slammed my thumb up against the bottom of the cut-out while I was trying to chisel it out enough to fit the outlet in. But for something using a table saw, planer, and router, I guess a few nicks is a small price to pay.








Yeah, I bought my chair. Not really something I felt like I could build myself and still match the type of chair I was hoping for. But there's plenty of room for me to spread out now, that's for sure. I've already spent several evenings there, either getting discussion posts done, drafting big chunks of papers, or finishing drafts and turning them in, and I love how I can have everything on one surface. Including a whiskey, as you can see in the pic below. It reminds me of being in college and taking over a table in the library. It's weird how nostalgic I feel about it.
Yup, even got some blinds for the window. 
It took a little longer than the week I tried to squeeze it into, but now that it's up and together it's been great so far. This went long enough into the new year that I guess this is a 2018 project instead of 2017, but looking back 2017 was pretty successful even without this last build. Being so busy I still haven't cleaned up from working on the beds and this so close together, which really needs to happen at some point. I'm wondering if I should re-do either the patio table or the console table this spring, but that's gonna have to wait until things get cleaned for sure. Oh well. Something to shoot for when this round of classes are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment