Friday, January 12, 2018

Putting the desk together

Okay, all the pieces are finally done and I've cleared out the old writing table in the office. Time to move everything in and set up the desk for the start of classes.

Carrying that top out of the garage and up the steps might have been the hardest part of this project. But points to me for leaving the legs off and moving everything in pieces; even if that wasn't the initial plan it made it a lot simpler to maneuver through the hall and into the office.
This room feels smaller with all the pieces out...
Ooops, probably should have sanded down here too. Hopefully felt helps.
With the back legs on I attached the top to the shelves with a handful of L-brackets, inside and on the back. I think that should do it; I was going to glue it down, but being able to take it apart without wrecking it if I ever need to move it meant no glue.
Ta da!
One last silly issue, the power strip came with screws but they were silver vs black. Not a huge deal but why not match it to the surface of the plate? I saved two of the bracket screws to use there instead, and think with that this build is a wrap.
One last touch.
Like a glove!
Man this room really needs to get painted. And the built-in shelves probably have to come down; they're too small to hold any real books. A project for another time. But I love how this desk came together, and it turns out the shelves are a nearly-perfect fit for the textbooks I've picked up. I'm not really crazy about having classes back in session right now, but at least not having proper work-space is not an excuse I can use. Now I just have to wait for my chair to get delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment