Monday, April 30, 2018

A better breadboard this time around

April has turned out to be a busy month, but I was still able to squeeze some work on the table in. I'm optimistic that it'll actually be together sometime in May, granted I can get the time off I'm planning on taking...

I'm doing this in part b/c as much as I loved how the first table turned out, it didn't stay that shape for long. Two summers out in the weather have gotten a lot of boards warping until they're practically un-usable. I'm hoping knowing what I'm doing a little more will help with that kind of thing this time around.
Slow going at this point.
But I like where we're at by the end. 
So I'm trying to use breadboard for more than just appearance's sake this time, routing out an actual joint and installing a board across the table planks to help let things breath but also hold them still. Fingers crossed.
A lap joint is probably too simple here but it doesn't look terrible.
Got both on, I think we might have something here. 
Just seeing it up on the sawhorses I see a lot of potential; I'm super excited to see this all together. I was hoping to re-use the legs from the old table but it looks like that's not going to happen, which means I have a little more to build. But again, I know a little more this time and I'm hoping I can build something really great this time.

Looking at it now, I'm shocked at how differently things are going. The first time around I worked practically every day, spending hours after working out at night planning things out and trying to make progress. Part of the thrill was seeing how things slowly came together even though I didn't really know what I was doing. This time I know a little more, and I'm working way more sporadically, but it's coming together much quicker. It's funny how much difference a little knowledge can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment