Monday, April 8, 2019

Get some work done!

I really enjoyed my two week break between classes this time around. Usually I'm itching to get back to it, but I managed to get some relaxation in, including some projects around the house.

One thing I got done was adding a gate under our deck. Of course this is an area the dog was instantly curious about, and I needed to close it off. While there was still snow out I just put the old screen door in front of the gap, but now that it's a little nicer I thought I'd close it off in a more presentable fashion.

So I brought home a lattice and some pressure treated 2x4s and got to work. That lattice was a pain in the ass. Of course HD wouldn't cut it, and I understand why, but that meant bringing the whole 4x8' thing home on the roof. Dammit.

Thankfully I could fit a gate in there with one side being 48", so I only had to make one cut on the lattice. For the 2x4's, I moved the blade down on the table saw to do some pass over cuts and carved out a nice groove to drop the lattice in once I had a frame, which I mitered together with glue and kreg screws.
This was solid, but I had some small hinges I hoped would do the job. They seemed to work. And yes, this was when the dog decided to freak out about someone walking by, when I was trapped under the deck. I got out eventually.
I had some bigger screws to put the hinge on the deck post at least.
The boy was also out, and he wanted to help so I let him finish putting a hook & loop on the gate and wall to keep it closed.
Good to have those little hands around. 

Voila, one finished project. Man I needed that, b/c classes have started back up and I'm back to having no free time for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment