Thursday, October 1, 2020

$60 projector on a $0 screen; outdoor movie night!

I think I've lost my mind in quarantine. 

But I finally snapped at the thought of ESB being re-released in theatres last month to celebrate its 40th anniversary, and not being able to go see it again. After sulking about it for a couple days, I floated the idea of an outdoor movie night to the wife and kids. Despite not having any existing setup, I got the okay to see if I could make it happen. So I did. 

First up was a projector. This model was decently reviewed and a 20% off coupon on Amazon, so that fit the bill. It arrived in a couple of days that I used to fill a micro SD card with as many star wars and kids movies I could fit on it. 

Next up was figuring out what to project onto. As luck would have it, we had both a plain white sheet and a black sheet in our basement that we would put on the couch for guests. But who's having guests right now, so fuck that. I had everything I needed for a cheap screen. 

After laying things out, I realized I had an extra board in the garage long enough span our basement sliding door, so I trimmed that in half to give the screen some shape. I stapled the black sheet to it, and velcro'd the white sheet onto that. 

After ironing it, I had a decent-enough looking surface to project a movie onto. 


Deciding what to watch and waiting for it to get dark enough was the hardest part of this whole thing. I wouldn't use this project for daily viewing, but for an outdoor movie night it did the job. Unfortunately ESB got voted down and we watched a different Disney  movie. 

Not the fanciest set up but it worked. 

Getting voted down just meant I stayed up later to watch the movie myself though, which meant I went to bed much more drunk than I initially planned. That seems to be a COVID theme. 

I loved outdoor movie night though. I should have thought of it ages ago, and I'm looking forward to doing this so often next summer we all get sick of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment