Monday, October 24, 2016

You're not done until the wife says you're done.

The wife was pleasantly surprised to see the shape of the fireplace when she came home last week. So pleasantly, in fact, she thought the mantel looked a lot better with a gray fireplace vs a white one, and "suggested" maybe I should just tile right up to it instead of leaving a gap and covering the mantel with wood. So yeah, I got all the tiling supplies back out, along with the left over tiles I had planned on returning.
The small finishes have the biggest impact sometimes.
I was not happy about having to grout again, but she was right, as usual, and finishing the tile up to the mantel does make everything look a lot better. Which is giving her a lot of confidence about suggesting tiles to finish the hearth with, which is great in that she's got good taste and I trust her judgment, but also awful b/c she really liked the look of some aluminum mosaic tiles we saw this weekend and I'm not crazy about the idea of getting a hacksaw out.
Still not done, but not having to cover the mantel will make things easier.
Cross that bridge when we get there though. The lesson here, yet again, is that my wife is always right. It's a running joke around our house but we've been telling it for years for a reason, and that's b/c there's truth to it. If it means a little more work for me when we're ready to tile the hearth so be it. For now I'm happy with how things have turned out and willing to do some research into what our finishing options are.

No comments:

Post a Comment