Friday, March 10, 2017

Crib-desk getting the little details

Now that everything's sanded down, things are getting pretty close to done on the crib desk. I found enough evening time this week to add a shelf and choose a finish, now all that's left is the detail work.
Used the leftover 1x10 & 1x6 pieces to make the shelf.

Tried to get this as square as possible...

Of course adding a shelf was trickier than expected. Adding a cross-support to the cleats meant having to cut out room for the sides of the shelf for the rest to be flush to the bottom of the desktop, and then made getting everything properly attached a bit of an adventure.

Eventually I figured out I should measure and test fit the sides and back, and then attach the bottom separately. That seems to have done the trick.
Sanding, sanding, & more sanding.
Glued in. Decided on a natural finish after testing on a scrap.
Right now the desktop is just glued onto the cleats; it might not be a bad idea to add some screws from underneath since the crossbar is there. With the shelf going on around the crossbar anyway that will also help keep in place. While figuring out that, I sanded, finished, and sealed the bottom so I wouldn't have to work in a confined area once it was all put together. Based on how much trouble I had putting it all on that was the right decision.
Getting everything on & ready for stain.

With the grommet hole in and shelf attached, I think we're ready to work on the finish. Not always my favorite part but I like how this had come together. Hopefully the kids feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment