Thursday, March 2, 2017

If you're going to take photos, take good photos

Of course, it's not always as simple as just taking good photos.

Talking about diy projects is always more interesting when there are pictures attached, but I'm not always thrilled with my shoddy camera phone pics of whatever I'm working on. It was most noticeable working on the fireplace: I would try to get all the details I wanted in the frame but couldn't get it right. The convenience of the phone outweighs the quality most of the time. It's good to get a quick dozen shots of the boy at karate practice and hope one turns out, but not always great for a focused shot of something particular.

Anyway, that's a round-about way to introduce I was looking at a clip on lens and got one pretty cheap on Amazon. It's not great, but it did get some decent shots where I could fit more detail in.
the kit
I used one in the post about having to figure out how to fit the treadmill into the garage. Things usually aren't that curvy in real life. And if I work on something small, the macro lens will probably get better detail than just the phone itself.
without the lens
W/the lens. Believe me, things are straighter in real life.

There is an awful lot of distortion on the wide angle lens pictures though. Apparently there are fixes for this with photo editing apps but I haven't found one I like yet. So eventually, the pictures here might get better. I wouldn't hold my breath though, even as I get ready to post more crib-desk photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment