Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Words to live by

I mentioned a while ago that I finally got my hands on a copy of "Good Clean Fun" after hearing about it from the man himself at a book signing for "Gumption" last year. It's a fun read, but there's one passage in particular from the chapter profiling Mira Nakashima that hasn't left my head since I read it:

"In hindsight, it's easy to examine the arc of a person's life or career with a discerning eye, but when we are actually living through that life-span, its destination is not so clear. Luminaries and legends as well as abject failures are often just trying to make their rent or get kissed (or both.)"
                                                 -Nick Offerman, "Good Clean Fun," page 140

This was a good read, not surprising since I enjoyed his other books immensely. But for whatever reason this passage grabbed me and hasn't let go. A silly blog might not be the best place for headier conversations about life but I liked seeing this sentiment when and where I did. I'm just trying to have fun in the shop while I keep food on the table, just like a lot of other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment