Thursday, September 28, 2017

guy's stitch fix review

The wife's annual conference is coming up, and instead of shopping for a few new outfits she signed up for stitch fix. Well, guess who signed up off her referral so she could use additional credits? You guessed it, me. What the hell, I thought, maybe I'll get something to wear to an interview.

Now while I'm usually quicker to post about the DIY pizzas we're eating while she's away, or the project I got the kids to help out on, turns out my stitch fit experience wasn't awful. I wasn't crazy about anything in the initial shipment but if you're curious and don't mind paying for an article or two you might not absolutely need, it's worth a shot.
Especially when you don't know how to describe your style. For the past five years, my style has been "stuff I'd be okay getting throw up on" vs "9-5 business casual" with the occasional unfortunate overlap. Throw in my love of flannel, up-coming interviews, and clothes I can wear in the shop and that's a pretty muddy picture. So I didn't know quite what to expect when I opened my box.
Nice patterned shirt! Unfortunately a bit snug.
Happily, I loved the shirt that was in there at first glance. That had me really excited to see how everything went, but my top pick ended up a bit snug. There was also a henley, which I don't really like, a pair of khakis, a crew-neck sweater, and two pairs of socks. Everything besides the first shirt fit fine. The shirt was a slim fit, which I actually prefer, but this one was a bit smaller that I could wear. Not enough to make me change my style profile though. 

Instead of purchasing you can also try to exchange, but unfortunately my top choice was not available. Ultimately I ended up having to decide between the khakis and the socks. I hate henleys, and I'm waiting until I get a raise or a new job to buy a new ND crew-neck so that was out.
That's quite a range of affordability. Pretty reasonable though.

Price was a factor, and I felt silly using my styling credit to buy a $12 pair of socks. So I went with the pants, and they're fine. They're work-appropriate at least. Not overly stylish but a functional article of clothing. That's enough for me to try the process again in a few months.

In the end I'd give it a thumbs up. It's not as fun as digging through a bargain outlet to come up with something, but it's also more pleasant than going to a department store. I liked it enough to try again using their every two months option, and look forward to what they pull together this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment